Friday, April 17, 2009

...and the Supercomputer gets even better!

Since the Supercomputer got fixed I've been doing some tinkering with quite staggering results. Elcomsoft have released a new version of their Wireless Cracking tool and you can now specify multiple dictionaries which is very useful. In addition, ATI now have new drivers that improve the GPU acceleration so I've got those downloaded and installed.

It then occurred to me that processing time would be taken up with the software figuring out all the permutations for each word in the dictionary, so I took a good 3 million word dictionary and ran it through the permutation generator that is part of John the Ripper.

john -w:dictionary.txt -rules -session:johnrestore.dat -stdout:63 > newdict.txt

This turned a 40 meg dictionary file into a 1.6 Gig monster with a staggering array of derivatives for each word. Feeding this into the cracker I have now raised my cracking speed from around 18000 passwords a second to a mind-blowing 45000 per second, or 3.8 billion a day. Not too shabby!

To deal with purely numeric WPA passwords I've got a friend writing a bit to code to generate a dictionary with every permutation up to 10 billion which is a nice long 11 digit password. Although we are looking at the best part of a week to run I believe that it is worth the effort.

Crack on - if you pardon the pun!

No comments: